Back to KiwiSaver

Transferring your savings overseas

To Australia

If you permanently emigrate to Australia, you can transfer your KiwiSaver savings to an Australian complying superannuation scheme that is regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) and is willing to accept the transfer. (Note: Not all Australian superannuation providers are currently accepting transfers from New Zealand KiwiSaver schemes).

You cannot withdraw your KiwiSaver savings as a cash lump sum on the basis of permanent emigration to Australia.

Unlike other permanent emigration withdrawals (outside of Australia) you’re able to transfer your entire KiwiSaver scheme account balance, including any government contributions, and you don’t have to wait for 12 months before applying to transfer.

Before you transfer

  • You can only transfer your KiwiSaver savings if your Australian superannuation provider accepts the transfer.
  • You must transfer the entire balance of your KiwiSaver account.
  • You’ll be able to access the KiwiSaver portion of your Australian superannuation savings at the age of eligibility for New Zealand Superannuation (currently 65).
  • You’re unable to transfer your New Zealand savings to another country (except back to New Zealand if you’re eligible to re-join KiwiSaver).
  • If your KiwiSaver savings are above the maximum amount set out in Australian legislation, you will not be able to transfer your KiwiSaver savings. For more information on what this amount is, please contact us on 0800 269 5494.

How to transfer

If you would like to apply for a transfer in this situation you need to complete the BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme Australian emigration transfer application form (PDF 180KB). Once you have filled in this form, you will need to take it to a Justice of the Peace, a solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand, notary public or another person authorised to complete the statutory declaration section of the form. Then you can choose to drop your completed form into any BNZ branch, email it to, or send it to: Freepost BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme, Private Bag 92208, Auckland 1142, New Zealand.

If you have any questions, please email or call us on
+64 4 931 8209 and ask for the KiwiSaver Support Team.

To other countries

If you have moved overseas permanently (excluding Australia), you’re not at retirement age, and you want to take your retirement savings with you, you will need to make an early withdrawal of your KiwiSaver savings after 12 months have passed since your permanent emigration. You will receive all of your savings, excluding any government contributions you’ve received and any amount you have transferred from an Australian complying superannuation fund.