How much can I borrow?
Use this home loan calculator as a guide to find out how much you may be able to borrow, based on your current income and expenses.
About this calculator
This calculator is intended as a guide only and is not a quote or an offer of finance by BNZ. If you apply for a home loan, we will review your application and you may get a different result to this calculator.
How the calculator works
We've had to make some assumptions to calculate the approximate amount you could borrow:
- Your situation, including your income and expenses, doesn't change for the life of the loan.
- When calculating what you may be able to afford, we take the living expenses and personal circumstances you've advised, and will use a standard interest rate that differs from our advertised rates as rates are likely to change over time.
We’ve had to make some assumptions to calculate your approximate repayments:
- There are no changes to the loan amount and you don’t borrow any extra on this loan.
- You don’t make any additional lump sum repayments or increase your regular repayments above the standard repayments (but you could choose to do this to reduce the term and interest charges, if your loan allows).
- You make all your repayments in full and on time.
- The interest rate remains the same for the term of your home loan. Note that in reality, interest rates are likely to change over time.
- The interest on your home loan is calculated daily and charged fortnightly, over the term of your loan.
- Your repayment amounts are calculated on a “principal and interest” basis for the term of the loan.
- Actual amounts may vary slightly due to rounding.
Information about applying for a home loan
If you want to apply for a home loan, you'll need to complete a full application and provide more information to us about you and the property you intend to buy. All home loans are subject to our lending criteria (including minimum equity requirements), terms and fees. Interest rates are subject to change. An establishment fee of up to $400 may apply for personal lending (the fee may be different for non- personal lending).
* Classic fixed rates are only available when you have at least 20% equity in the property provided as security, but where Auckland residential investment property is involved, more equity may be required, if Reserve Bank minimum equity restrictions apply. A BNZ transactional account with your salary or wages credited and one other product is required. Not available for packaged offers.