Wherever you provide personal information – whether it’s online, in store, or over the phone – we’ll do everything we can to protect it from being used in the wrong way. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual or information that could be used to identify you, such as your name and contact details.
As a financial institution, we need to collect, hold, use, and disclose your personal information as part of providing our products and services. We are bound by and adhere to the privacy provisions set out in the Privacy Act 1993.
Confidentiality of your information
If you’re using a BNZ product or service, the confidentiality provisions of that product or service’s terms and conditions will apply.
- Identity information, such as your name, physical or postal or email addresses, telephone numbers, and date of birth.
- Details on identification documentation (such as your passport), your signature, and Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number.
- Biometric information, for example an image or video of your face that you provide through our website.
- Credit information, such as details relating to your credit history, credit capacity, and credit eligibility.
- Details related to your use of online services on our websites and mobile banking applications, including your user name and login credentials, IP address, device details (including your device’s location, if your permit us to access that information), browser, and operating system.
Your information is collected and held by BNZ, Private Bag 39806, Wellington Mail Centre, Wellington 5045. Under the Privacy Act, you’re entitled to see and request the correction of any personal information about you held by us. You can choose not to supply the information we request but it may affect our ability to accept you as a customer.
By providing us with your personal information online, whether via online form, live chat (BNZ Click to Chat), or by sending us an email, you agree to us:
ii) retaining your personal information for contacting you via email, text message or online notification (without an unsubscribe facility), or by telephone or post, in regards to your specific request.
BNZ Click to Chat
By entering into a live web or video chat with us, you agree to your chat conversation (which may include personal information) being recorded and used by us for the purposes of assessing and helping to improve our chat service, and as a reference for queries from you about your chat with us.
When we no longer need your information
We’re required to keep some of your information for certain periods of time under law but otherwise won’t keep your information for longer than we require it for our purposes. When we no longer require your information, we’ll ensure that your information is destroyed or de-identified.
We use session cookies to identify a particular session on our website. A session is the time you visited and spent on our website using a certain device. The information collected from the session (which may or may not identify you personally) is about your browsing activities on our websites, such as what buttons you clicked, what pages you visited, what content we displayed to you and information you enter on our site. We don’t monitor your activity after you have left our website, nor do we monitor what you are doing on other websites at the same time as you are using ours.
Every time you go back to our website using the same computer in the same session, the website will recognise what happened previously with the browsing activities on that computer.
We use persistent cookies to give you the ability to set your own preferences for our site (for example, setting the business banking page as your homepage). We may also use these cookies for the purpose of fraud detection and investigation.
Changing the settings of your cookies
In most circumstances you can adjust the settings on your browser to notify you when you are offered a cookie so you can decide whether or not to accept it. However, if you disable or block cookies, our secure services (such as Internet Banking, Internet Banking for Business or Client Fund Service) won’t work and other parts of our website may not work properly.
To learn more about cookies, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Analytics and other technologies we use
These collect information covering multiple sessions across multiple devices which may identify you personally, for example, where you provide us with information on an online form (regardless of whether that form is submitted or not) or when you are using, or have used, one of our secure online services.
We can use this information to:
- identify you and your browser, and determine if your device has previously visited our website;
- identify other pages or a third party’s website you have accessed through our website or when we provide you a link to click;
- measure the effectiveness of our websites and online marketing campaign performance, for example, to understand, optimise and personalise user experience;
- improve our advertising and deliver you content or offers we think are more relevant and personal to you both on and outside our website; and
- detect malicious activity from your computer that may place your financial security at risk.
We may combine the following information (which may or may not identify you personally):
- information collected from your use of the BNZ website;
- information collected through our banking relationship with you;
- information collected from third parties; and
- information that is publicly available.
Where our website contains hyperlinks to third party websites, we are not responsible for the availability, content, accuracy, or privacy practices of these websites.
European Union General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR)
The EU GDPR establishes a uniform data protection law across the European Economic Area (EEA) and aims to protect the privacy and use of EEA residents’ personal data in an increasingly digital world. An EU GDPR Privacy Statement has been published which sets out how we, Bank of New Zealand, will be complying with these obligations to protect the data of BNZ customers who reside in an EEA country.
Read the new EU GDPR Privacy Statement PDF 50KB.