Help & Support
Making international payments
Information you’ll need to make an international payment
- The account you want us to withdraw the funds from.
- The currency and amount you want to send, specifying a foreign amount or an NZD equivalent.
- Your phone number in case we need to clarify your request.
- Payee’s full name and street (physical) address.
- Payee’s account number and the currency the account is held in.
- Payee’s bank name, branch name and branch address.
Bank and country information of the payee
- An IBAN (International Bank Account Number), if you’re sending money to European Union countries, the United Kingdom, the Middle East and some other countries. See 'IBANs, Clearing Codes and SWIFT BIC Codes' below. To get an IBAN for your payee, contact the overseas bank you are sending the funds to.
- Country Clearing Codes. See 'IBANs, Clearing Codes and SWIFT BIC Codes' below.
- Any SWIFT, BSB, ABA or other routing number. See 'IBANs, Clearing Codes and SWIFT BIC Codes' below.
- A payment reason is required and may contain information such as an invoice number. The details entered are sent to the receiving bank and may be passed on to the beneficiary.
IBANs, Clearing Codes and SWIFT BIC Codes
Some countries have rules for IBANs, Clearing Codes and SWIFT BIC Codes that you may need to include when making your payment.
|Country||IBAN||Clearing Code||SWIFT BIC Code|
|Australia, Canada and USA||Use account numbers rather than IBANs||Mandatory AU = BSB No. (eg 123456)
CA= Transit No. (eg 123456789)
US = Fedwire/ABA No (eg 123456789)
|Do not supply a SWIFT BIC for these countries|
|South Africa||Use account numbers and not IBANs||Optional ZA = Sort Code No (eg 123456)||Provide a SWIFT BIC if known. If not known then bank name and address details must be supplied|
|India||Not applicable||IFSC recommended||
Do not supply a SWIFT BIC for this country.You must include full details of payee’s bank:
|Countries using IBAN (e.g. countries in the European Union, the United Kingdom and Middle East)||Use IBAN||Do not supply a Clearing Code for these countries||Optional|