Help & Support
Making international payments
Information you’ll need to make an international payment
- The account you want us to withdraw the funds from.
- The currency and amount you want to send, specifying a foreign amount or an NZD equivalent.
- Your phone number in case we need to clarify your request.
- Payee’s full name and street (physical) address.
- Payee’s account number and the currency the account is held in.
- Payee’s bank name, branch name and branch address.
A payment reason is also required and may contain information such as an invoice number. The details entered are sent to the receiving bank and may be passed on to the beneficiary.
IBANs, Clearing Codes and SWIFT BIC Codes
When you make an international payment, depending on the destination country, you may be asked for an IBAN (International Bank Account Number), Clearing Code, or SWIFT BIC Code. To get this information, contact the overseas party you are sending the payment to.
|Country||IBAN||Clearing Code||SWIFT BIC Code|
|Australia, Canada and USA||Use account numbers rather than IBANs||Mandatory AU = BSB No. (eg 123456)
CA= Transit No. (eg 123456789)
US = Fedwire/ABA No (eg 123456789)
|Do not supply a SWIFT BIC for these countries|
|South Africa||Use account numbers and not IBANs||Optional ZA = Sort Code No (eg 123456)||Provide a SWIFT BIC if known. If not known then bank name and address details must be supplied|
|India||Not applicable||IFSC recommended||
Do not supply a SWIFT BIC for this country.You must include full details of payee’s bank:
|Countries using IBAN (e.g. countries in the European Union, the United Kingdom and Middle East)||Use IBAN||Do not supply a Clearing Code for these countries||Optional|
Making an international payment in Internet Banking
- Login to Internet Banking
- Open the menu on the left-hand side of your screen
- Select “International” from the menu options (depending on your settings, you may be prompted to enter your NetGuard coordinates)
- Select the account you'd like to pay from, and add the details you want to appear on your statement
- If you're not paying an existing payee, you'll need to set up a new payee by clicking on "Select a payee" and then selecting "Add a new payee"
- From here, follow the on screen instructions to complete your payment
If you need further help making an international payment, call 0800 275 269 (24 hours), or call us collect from a land line from here or overseas +64 4 931 8209. International toll charges apply.