Using your NZ passport to open an account
You can open your first account online using RealMe or a New Zealand passport. If you use your passport, we recommend using a mobile or tablet device^.
How to open an account
- Apply to open an account online.
- After completing the qualifying questions, you’ll be asked how you wish to identify yourself. Select New Zealand passport.
- We’ll verify your passport details, and NZ address via greenID^. Your passport must not be expired.
- If your NZ address can’t be verified, we’ll ask you to upload a proof of address such as a bank statement, letter from employer/education institute or bill.
- We’ll capture two videos - one of your passport, and one of you saying a phrase.
- When you submit your application we’ll do some final checks and if everything looks OK, we’ll email your account details to you within the next business day.
What happens next
- Your NetGuard card and Flexi Debit Visa card (if you requested one) will be posted to you.
- Link your Flexi Debit Visa card in Mobile Banking to start making purchases anywhere that accepts Apple Pay or Google Pay™.
- Your Flexi Debit Visa card (if you requested one) will arrive at your address within a few days. Your PIN will be loaded onto your card but you’ll need to activate your card. To do that, just enter your PIN at an EFTPOS terminal when making a purchase, or at any ATM.