Back to Everyday accounts

Identification requirements

Before we can open an account for you, we need to verify who you are, where you live and (if required) your tax residency status.

Prove your ID

You can choose to prove your ID with one of the three following options:

Option 1 — One form of the following primary photo ID:

  • New Zealand passport
  • New Zealand certificate of identity
  • New Zealand firearms licence
  • Emergency travel document
  • New Zealand refugee travel document

The below two documents must also include your name, date of birth, photo, signature and be issued by a foreign government, the United Nations or an agency of the United Nations:

  • Overseas passport
  • National identity card

Where possible, please provide current ID. However, we will accept the above forms expired up to a maximum of 12 months.

Option 2 — One form of the following non-photo ID:

  • New Zealand full birth certificate
  • Certificate of New Zealand citizenship
  • Citizenship certificate issued by a foreign government
  • Birth certificate issued by a foreign government
AND a supporting form of photo ID:
  • New Zealand driver licence*
  • 18+ card  (Hospitality Association)*
  • A valid and current international driving permit

Where possible please provide current ID. However, we will accept the above forms identified with an * that have expired in the last 12 months.

Option 3 — A New Zealand driver licence together with one of the following:

  • A current signed credit card, debit card or EFTPOS card issued by a registered New Zealand bank with your name embossed on it
  • A current item issued by a New Zealand Government agency that contains your name and signature, for example a SuperGold Card or Community Services Card

The documents listed below must be dated within the last 12 months. Original or online versions are acceptable.

Please provide a current New Zealand driver licence. However, we will accept a licence that has expired within the last 12 months. 

All of the above ID documents must be:
  • Original (except where indicated in Option C)
  • Clear, legible, a good likeness, not defaced or mutilated
  • Valid (signed where applicable and not cancelled)
  • Translated where applicable
  • Sighted by a BNZ staff member or trusted referee

Prove your residential address

When you bring in a document to verify your residential address, there are a number of options you can choose from. All documents listed below must:

  • Display your name and residential address
  • Be dated within the last 12 months
  • Not be targeted promotional or marketing material
  • Be translated where applicable
  • Sighted by a BNZ staff member or trusted referee

In the event that the documents have been sent to an address where you do not reside, you can use this provided that it includes your name and residential address. For example, mail sent to your PO Box which includes your residential address is acceptable. 

How to prove your address

You can prove your residential address with any one of the following documents listed below.

The following items must be original:

  • A New Zealand driver licence that displays your current residential address. (Please provide a current New Zealand driver licence, however we will accept one that has expired within the last 12 months). 
  • A document from a New Zealand Electoral Office

The following items can be either original or online versions:

  • A utility bill from your power, gas, water, land-line phone, SKY or internet service provider company
  • A New Zealand council rates notice/valuation
  • A document from a registered New Zealand bank (for example but not limited to a statement, bank letter with credit or EFTPOS card, tax certificate, interest rate letter, advice of deposit or loan)
  • A document from a NZ insurance company that contains a unique policy or reference number (This does not include quotes)
  • A document issued by a New Zealand Government agency
  • A residential rental agreement
  • A document from a New Zealand superannuation provider that has a unique customer or reference number
  • A document from a current NZQA registered education provider
  • A letter from your current employer on the employer's letterhead

If you have recently arrived in New Zealand from overseas, you can also use the documents listed below:

  • A bank statement showing your overseas residential address.
  • A utility bill from your power, gas, water, landline phone, or internet service provider showing your overseas address.

Using a trusted referee to prove your ID and residential address

If you are unable to meet with us face to face, you can choose to have your identification and proof of address documents certified by an approved trusted referee. This option is only available for customers and trusted referees within New Zealand.

Certification must:

  • Include the name and signature of the trusted referee
  • Include the date of certification
  • Have been carried out in the 3 months preceding the presentation of the copied documents

The trusted referees must: 

  • Be at least 16 years of age
  • Sight the original documentary identification
  • Make a statement to the effect that the documents provided are a true copy and represent the identity of the named individual (true likeness where photo ID is used)
  • Specify their capacity to act as a trusted referee from the approved trusted referee list below

Trusted referees must not be:

  • Your spouse or partner
  • Related to you or living at the same address as you
  • A person involved in the transaction or business requiring this certification. (For example, if you visit your solicitor to set up a trust or register a mortgage you cannot use that same solicitor to certify your ID & proof of address documents. Another solicitor at the firm could be used as your trusted referee).

Certified copies of the original documents can be returned to the bank by you or the trusted referee via email, post or courier.

Approved trusted referees include the following:
  • Member of the police
  • Justice of the peace
  • Registered medical doctor
  • Kaumātua (as verified through a reputable source)
  • Registered teacher
  • Minister of religion
  • Lawyer (as defined in the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006)
  • Notary public
  • New Zealand Honorary Consul
  • Member of Parliament
  • Chartered accountant (within the meaning of section 19 of the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants Act 1996)
  • A person who has the legal authority to take statutory declarations or the equivalent in New Zealand
  • Commonwealth representative (as defined in the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957)

Contact us

If you'd like to check valid document types with us, please call 0800 269 5494.