Using RealMe to open an account online
RealMe® is a secure online identity verification service managed by the Department of Internal Affairs. A verified RealMe® account lets you prove your identity and address online with participating organisations, including BNZ.
You must live in New Zealand, and be aged 13 and over to open an account with RealMe®.
How to open an account with RealMe
- Apply to open an account online.
- After completing the qualifying questions, you’ll be asked how you wish to identify yourself. Select RealMe.
- You’ll be asked to log in to your RealMe® account to share your details.
- If you’ve verified your identity with RealMe® and we can verify your NZ address, you can open a transaction or savings account online^ and start using it straight away in Mobile and Internet Banking. We’ll also confirm your account details by email.
- If your address can’t be verified, we’ll ask you to upload a proof of address such as a bank statement or bill, to prove your address. We’ll check that, and if approved your account will be opened the next business day.
What happens next
- Your NetGuard card, and any Flexi Debit Visa cards you requested, will be posted to you.
- Link your Flexi Debit Visa card in Mobile Banking to start making purchases anywhere that accepts Apple Pay or Google Pay™.
- Your Flexi Debit Visa card (if you requested one) will arrive at your address within a few days. Your PIN will be loaded onto your card but you’ll need to activate your card. To do that, just enter your PIN at an EFTPOS terminal when making a purchase, or at any ATM.
Get set up with RealMe
Go to www.realme.govt.nz and create an account.