Disputing a transaction
- contactless payments
- Apple Pay and Google Pay™
- online and phone purchases
- international payments.
We’re not able to accept disputes for:
- EFTPOS transactions for purchases made in New Zealand, where the ‘Cheque’ or ‘Saving’ option is selected
- transactions made with non-Visa services (for example, Worldline’s Online EFTPOS service). In this scenario, we recommend you contact the merchant you made the purchase with
- any transactions made with your Eftpos card, unless you believe fraud has occurred.
How to dispute a transaction
To make a dispute, you’ll need to contact us within 60 days^ of:
- the date of the transaction
- the expected delivery date for the goods or services.
Ways to contact us
- Call 0800 800 667
- Send a secure message in Internet Banking
- Visit a BNZ branch
- Write to: BNZ, Attn: Disputes Transaction Department, PO Box 2295, Wellington
Make sure you give us as much information as possible to support your dispute.