Activate your account
When your account has been activated, you’ll also be able to withdraw money and make payments from your account. Once your account is active i.e. you’ve made a deposit and a withdrawal of differing amounts, you’ll be able to apply for an IRD number.
How to activate your account
- Before you arrive in New Zealand, set up an activation meeting with a BNZ banker at a store convenient to you.
- Bring evidence of your identity along to the meeting. If you’ve opened a joint account, both of you will need to come to the meeting and bring along your individual proof of identity.
- Your account will be activated by your banker and you’ll receive your BNZ Eftpos card.
- If you plan to apply for an IRD number, you can speed up the process by making a withdrawal at the activation meeting so that your account becomes active. Your banker can print out a list of transactions for you, or you can do that yourself from Internet Banking.
- Discuss other account options, products and services that may help you get settled into New Zealand life a little quicker.
What you’ll need to bring with you
You’ll need to bring two identification documents with you to the activation meeting, so we can verify who you are.
- Your passport
- Proof of residential address in your home country, or the address where you’ll be living in New Zealand. This can be a bank statement, or utility bill from your power, gas, water, landline phone, or internet service provider. The document can be an original or an online version.
Without these you won’t be able to activate your account.
Do your banking on the go
Our mobile banking app is available for Apple and Android compatible devices^. Fingerprint login/Touch ID means you can be in and out in a flash. Download the app now, then when your account is activated you’ll be able to check your balances at a glance, make payments, and quickly move money between your accounts as you need to.
Download the mobile banking app
What else do you need?
We can put you on the right track to help make settling in to New Zealand life a little easier.
Get your activation started
Migrant help and support
If you need help, contact us at email@example.com or talk to one of our team (international charges will apply).
New Zealand +64 9 976 6318
Australia +61 3 8634 1393
Account opening and lending criteria, terms and fees apply. Refer to our Migrant account terms and conditions. BNZ standard terms and conditions apply to all BNZ transaction and savings accounts. Details of our fees can be found in our Fees Guide (PDF 126kb)
Exchange rates on international payments will be the market rate at time of transfer and a processing fee will apply.
Mobile coverage and data required to access the BNZ Mobile Banking app. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.