Benefits of a Foreign Currency Call account
Receive, hold and pay out in one currency
If you get money from overseas, you can hold it in your foreign currency call account rather than converting it to New Zealand dollars. Then if you need to make a payment in that currency, you can do so using the funds in your foreign currency account.
Manage the potential of a better exchange rate
With a Foreign Currency Call account you can buy foreign currency now when the exchange rate is right for you, and hold it until you need it later on. Likewise, if you already have foreign currency you can wait a while before converting it to New Zealand dollars.
Keeping track of your account
You can check the balance of your Foreign Currency Call account, whenever it suits, through our Internet Banking service. With BNZ, your balance shows in real time, so it’s always up to date.
Account maintenance fee
Monthly maintenance fee can be refunded
If your average daily balance for the month is over the rebate level for your account’s currency, the Foreign Currency Call account maintenance fee will be refunded in full. The rebate level for each currency is shown in the rates and fees section below and is subject to change from time to time.
Ways to access your Foreign Currency Call account
You can make payments and transfer funds:
- via Internet Banking for Business
- via Internet Banking by sending us a request by secure message
- by going in to a BNZ store.
You can use your Foreign Currency Call account to:
- transfer funds to or from your NZD transactional accounts (you won’t be able to access your account from ATMs in NZ or overseas).
- send international transfers to overseas bank accounts
- purchase foreign currency cash from a BNZ store using the funds in your Foreign Currency Call account.
Other things it pays to know
- Minimum balances apply in order to earn interest on credit balances and interest rates can change daily.
- If applicable, interest is calculated daily and paid on the last business day of the month.
- Our foreign currency call account interest rates, monthly maintenance fees and rebate levels are listed below.
- Funds are held in New Zealand, not overseas.
How to open a Foreign Currency Call account
BNZ Internet Banking customers
Use the Apply Now menu option within Internet Banking to arrange for a new Foreign Currency Call account to be opened. Your request will be actioned within two business days and you’ll be able to view your account in Internet Banking.
Internet Banking for Business customers
Contact your Relationship Manager.
Account interest rates & fees
|Country||Currency||Monthly^ Maintenance Fee||Rebate Level|
Account maintenance fees are charged on the last business day of each month.
Account maintenance fees and rebate levels are subject to change from time to time.