Help & Support
Making international business payments
You can make an international payment in Internet Banking for Business, or in the BNZ Business app.
Before you get started
- View rates and fees for receiving international payments.
- View processing cut off times.
- Be aware that our sanctions requirements may lead to delays in processing your payments.
Information you’ll need
- Account you want to withdraw the funds from.
- Currency you want to send.
- Payee’s full name (this must match their account name exactly) and physical address.
- Payee’s IBAN or account number, as well as any other bank codes needed to send a payment to their country, such as national clearing codes, SWIFT codes, or purpose codes.
How to make an international payment
- Log in to Internet Banking for Business.
- Click the International tab.
- Click Make an International Payment in the left-hand menu.
- In the From field, using the drop-down menu, choose the account you want to make the payment from.
- In the To field, using the drop-down menu, choose the person or organisation (payee) you want to pay.
Note: If you’re not paying an existing payee, you’ll need to add a new international payee first.
- Enter the amount you want the payee to receive in your chosen currency. Or, click the toggle icon to switch to NZD and specify the amount you want withdrawn (debited) from your account.
- The NZD equivalent of your foreign currency amount will be displayed underneath the amount field.
- The conversion rate is an indication of the rate that will be used. The actual conversion rate will be confirmed once you’ve completed your payment details including fees.
- Complete the Payment reason field. These details will be received by the payee’s bank. For your own statement, you can enter optional particulars or a code.
- Under Fees, select the account you want your fee to be withdrawn from.
- Choose whether you’d like to cover correspondent fees.
Note: Correspondent fees are deducted from the amount you send, by overseas banks that are involved in processing your payment. By covering correspondent fees, the full amount you send should reach your payee. Occasionally there may be additional fees, but this is rare.
- Click Next then review the payment details to check they’re correct.
- You’ll be provided with a live foreign exchange (FX) rate and conversion amount, which is valid for a limited time. Select Reload rate if your rate expires.
- Select Previous if you’d like to make changes to your payment.
- Select Pay to submit your payment. You’ll see a message confirming your payment was successful.