Understanding how balance transfers work
A balance transfer is when you move an existing credit card balance to another card, which charges a lower interest rate.
Balance transfers are currently unavailable until further notice. Please contact us to talk about other suitable options.
Existing balance transfers
- Your transferred balance will accrue no interest for an agreed interest-free period, usually 6 or 12 months.
- If any of your transferred balance hasn’t been paid off, and is still on your credit card after the interest-free period, you’ll be charged the standard purchase interest rate on this amount. See our personal and business credit card rates and fees.
- New purchases will be charged the standard interest rate.
- All credit card repayments will be applied to your statement in the order of balances attracting the highest interest rates to lowest interest rates.
- Any purchases or cash advances on your statement will be paid off before your transferred balance. Read more on how your payments are applied.