Understanding how balance transfers work
A balance transfer is when you move an existing credit card balance to another card, which charges a lower interest rate.
- Your transferred balance will accrue no interest for 12 months.
- If any of your transferred balance hasn’t been paid off, and is still on your credit card after 12 months, you’ll be charged the standard purchase interest rate on this amount. See our personal and business credit card rates and fees.
- New purchases will be charged the standard interest rate.
- All credit card repayments will be applied to your statement in the order of balances attracting the highest interest rates to lowest interest rates.
- Any purchases or cash advances on your statement will be paid off before your transferred balance. Read more on how your payments are applied.
Credit card limit
- Your BNZ credit card must be within 95% of its credit limit after a balance has been transferred to it.
- You can’t max out your credit card to its full limit with a balance transfer.
Cards you can transfer balances from
- Balances can only be transferred from a non-BNZ, New Zealand issued credit or store card.
- You can transfer your balance to any of our credit cards, excluding HomeAdvantage and Business First Visa.
Minimum transfer amount and rewards
- The minimum balance you can transfer is $500.
- You're not eligible to earn rewards, such as Fly Buys points or Cash Rewards, on any balance you transfer.
How long it takes to transfer your balance
Subject to approval, the balance from your non-BNZ credit or store card will be transferred as quickly as overnight. Otherwise, within 10 business days.