Get a head start on your credit card debt
Get 0% p.a.1 for 12 months when you transfer a balance from another credit or store card to a BNZ credit card and have your income paid into one of our transaction accounts.
Plus, be in to win up to $2,000
Until January 2016, every month that you reduce your card balance you’ll automatically go in the monthly prize draw to win one of five chances to have up to $2,000 of your repayment matched by us*.
How to apply
Get a BNZ credit card
The first thing you need is a BNZ credit card. They’re all eligible except for our Business First Visa. Get one now if you don’t already have one.
Choose your rate
Get -% p.a. for 12 months on balances transferred from a non-BNZ credit or store card to a BNZ credit card, when you have your income paid into one of our transaction accounts.
Get -% p.a. for 12 months on balances transferred from a non-BNZ credit or store card to a BNZ credit card, when you just get a BNZ credit card and not a transaction account.
Complete the online application and we’ll transfer your balance. This could happen overnight or within 10 business days, subject to approval.
What can I save with a balance transfer?
Calculate how much you could save by transferring the balance of your non-BNZ credit card to a BNZ card.
How balance transfers work
Interest on the amount you transfer
At -% p.a., your transferred balance will accrue no interest for 12 months.
If you get the -% p.a. balance transfer rate, you’ll start being charged interest on the transferred balance straightaway – there are no interest-free days.
If any of your transferred balance hasn’t been paid off and is still on your credit card after 12 months, you’ll be charged the standard purchase interest rate on this amount. Check out our credit cards rates and fees.
Interest on any new purchases
You’ll pay the standard purchase interest rate on any new purchases you make with your card (purchases made with the card do not qualify for the -% p.a. or -% p.a. rates).
For standard purchase rates check out our credit cards rates and fees.
All credit card repayments will go towards paying off your transferred balance first. Any purchases (or cash advances you make) won’t be paid off until you've cleared all the transferred balance.
Find out more about how balance transfers work
Get answers to frequently asked questions and find out more about how balance transfers work and rules that may apply.
Compare credit card rates, fees, & benefits
See every rate and fee for each of our cards, so you can choose the card that’s right for you.
Credit card help and support
If your card is lost or stolen call 0800 735 901 (24 hours)
Or call us collect from a land line from here or overseas +64 4 473 5901
You might also be interested in
Choosing a credit card
Different types of credit cards suit different people. Get one to match your needs and spending habits.
An overdraft can be handy if you need a bit of extra cash to cover you for those leaner months.
If you need to borrow a bit more for a one-off purchase or you want to consolidate your debt, a personal loan might be a good option.
- To be eligible for the interest rate of 0% p.a. for 12 months on the transferred balance, you must also open a BNZ transactional account, and your salary or wages must be paid into the transactional account within 2 months from the date of the balance transfer (the Bundled Offer).
If you do not have a BNZ transactional account, you will be eligible for the interest rate of 4.99% p.a. for 12 months on the transferred balance (the Simple Offer).
For both Offers, eligibility for the balance transfer rate is limited to balances from non-BNZ New Zealand issued Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners, GE CreditLine, The Warehouse Financial Services Credit and Store Cards, Fisher & Paykel Finance issued Q Cards and Farmers Cards. Generally payments are applied to lower interest rate transactions first.
For both Offers, terms and conditions, and fees apply. Balance transfer and transaction account opening is subject to BNZ approval. A minimum balance transfer amount of $500 applies. Your BNZ credit card must remain within 95% of its credit limit after the balance has been transferred. This means you cannot transfer a balance up to your full BNZ credit card limit. Offers exclude personal loans and BNZ Business First Visa cards.
For both Offers, any outstanding balance that remains on your BNZ credit card 12 months from the date that the relevant balance transfer interest rate commenced on your card, will revert to the prevailing purchase interest rate for that credit card account.
To retain both Offers, your credit card account must be in compliance with your card's terms and conditions (in respect to Payments). To retain the Bundled Offer, the BNZ transaction account that you open must be active and continue to have your salary or wages paid into it. BNZ reserves the right to increase the interest rate applying to the transferred balance to the prevailing purchase interest rate on the credit card if you are no longer in compliance with your card’s terms, or in the case of the Bundled Offer, if your salary or wages are no longer paid into your BNZ transaction account or you have not paid your salary or wages into the transaction account within 2 months from the date of the balance transfer.
For both Offers, the prevailing purchase interest rate will be charged to any new purchases using your BNZ credit card. Balance transfers are not eligible for rewards, including Fly Buys points and there are no interest free days or cash backs.
- This calculator provides approximate savings based on a comparison between interest charged on a non-BNZ credit card or store card and the interest charged on a balance transferred to a BNZ credit card from another bank or finance company's credit or store card at the same monthly repayment. The savings are an estimate only and do not constitute a quote or offer by BNZ. Interest is calculated daily and charged monthly. The way interest is calculated in this calculator may differ slightly from how interest on your card is calculated. The savings do not include the effect of any purchases and/or cash advances that are made on the BNZ credit card. It assumes that you operate your card in accordance with your card terms and conditions, including making the required minimum monthly repayment and making payments on time.
* Terms and conditions for the Mission Zero Promotion Prize Draw
For the purposes of the Mission Zero promotion (“Prize Draw”), the following definitions will apply:
a. Eligible Entrant means a person who:
i. Is resident in New Zealand and who transfers their non-BNZ credit card or store card balance to a BNZ credit card (by way of “balance transfer”) during the Promotional Period;
ii. Makes a repayment on their BNZ credit card account (“Account”) on or before the payment due date proceeding each monthly Prize Draw, which is equal to or greater than the minimum payment required at that payment due date, and is greater than the total sum of any purchases made in that statement cycle;
iii. Is compliant with their Account terms and conditions (including, for example, by making the minimum payment required under those terms and conditions); and
iv. Has some, or all of, the balance transferred to the Account remaining to be paid (once a customer has paid off the total sum transferred to their Account by way of the balance transfer, they will not be an Eligible Entrant).
b. Prize means the value of any repayments made into an Eligible Entrant’s Account on or before the payment due date proceeding each monthly Prize Draw, up to a maximum value of NZD$2,000.
c. Promotional Period means the period between 20 January 2015 and 19 January 2016.
2. There will be 12 monthly prize draws, each consisting of five Prizes, with each draw being made in the second week of each month. The first draw will be in the second week of March 2015 and the last draw will be in the second week of February 2016.
3. There will be five winners drawn at random from all Eligible Entrants for each monthly prize draw.
4. Entries are restricted to one per Eligible Entrant per month.
5. All Prizes awarded will be paid into the winner’s credit card Account.Any Prizes paid into a winner’s account will not be considered a repayment for the purposes of the following month’s prize draw.
6. BNZ reserves the right to refuse to award a Prize where there is a breach of any of these terms and conditions.
7. The Prize is not transferrable or redeemable for cash.
8. The Prize Draw supervisor’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. The winners will be notified by telephone or in writing using the details held by Bank of
New Zealand. If a winner cannot be contacted after reasonable attempts by Bank of New Zealand to arrange collection, the prize will be forfeited and another winner will be drawn. Once the Prize winner has been contacted, the Prize will be credited to the winner’s Account
10. Each winner agrees that his/her name and photograph may be used by Bank of New Zealand from time to time for promotional purposes.
11. Neither Bank of New Zealand employees (as well as their immediate families living at the same address) nor associated agencies of Bank of New Zealand are eligible to enter into the Prize Draw.
12. BNZ reserves the right not to award a Prize to an Eligible Entrant whose accounts are in default or have been closed during or after the Promotional Period due to misconduct.
13. Bank of New Zealand reserves the right to vary, suspend or terminate the Prize Draw at any time.