A Merchant Service Fee (MSF) rate is charged for contactless and credit card transactions, including mobile wallets, that are processed through your merchant facility.
A MSF rate is expressed as a percentage of the transaction value, and is calculated monthly at the end of each calendar month. The fees are debited from your nominated account on the 15th of the subsequent calendar month, or next business day if the 15th falls on a weekend or public holiday.
There are no charges for EFTPOS transactions, i.e. where a cardholder selects CHQ or SAV as the account option on your terminal.
How the MSF rate is set
The rate we charge depends on several factors such as the type of business you have, how many transactions you process, and the mix of domestic and international card types you accept.
There are three main cost components that determine your MSF rate.
- Interchange: The fee paid to the bank that issued your customer’s card. Interchange makes up the majority of underlying costs. Rates vary depending on the type of card your customer is using and the transaction method, e.g. card present or card not present.
- Scheme fees: The fee paid to the card scheme, e.g. Visa, Mastercard, UnionPay or American Express. The scheme fee varies based on the card scheme, card type (debit, credit or prepaid card), country the card was issued in, and the transaction value.
- Transaction fees: The fee charged by the payment network or e-commerce gateway to process a transaction, e.g. Paymark.
We offer several pricing options depending on your requirements and preferences.
We charge you the same fixed rate for all Visa, Mastercard, American Express and UnionPay card transactions.
We charge you separate fixed rates for Visa, Mastercard, American Express and UnionPay card transactions.
We charge you the actual interchange costs applicable for each type of Visa and Mastercard transaction, plus a margin applied by us to process the transaction. With this option, you can see exactly what rates you are paying for each type of card accepted.
Note: Interchange Plus is not available for UnionPay International or American Express transactions.
We charge you the same fixed fee for certain types of card transactions. There are three pricing categories for split pricing.
- Debit contactless: All domestic debit and domestic prepaid cards accepted in a contactless manner via a terminal, i.e. your customer taps their card, or their mobile wallet to make a payment.
- Asia payments: All UnionPay cards and Alipay wallets.
- Credit standard: All other credit cards, international cards and domestic prepaid cards not accepted in a contactless manner.