Back to KiwiSaver

Moving overseas permanently

If you want to withdraw your KiwiSaver savings because you have emigrated permanently to any country (excluding Australia), at least 12 months needs to have passed since your permanent emigration from New Zealand.

Moving to another country (not Australia)

Unless you’re emigrating to Australia, you’re able to withdraw all your KiwiSaver savings, excluding any government contributions you’ve received and any amount you have transferred from an Australian complying superannuation fund. If your withdrawal request is approved, your government contributions will be repaid to the Government before your KiwiSaver account is closed.

How to apply

If you would like to apply for a withdrawal in this situation, you need to complete the BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme permanent emigration withdrawal application form PDF 71KB. Once you have filled in this form, you will need to take it to a Justice of the Peace, a solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand, notary public or another person authorised to complete the statutory declaration section of the form. Then you can choose to drop your completed form into any BNZ branch, email it to, or send it to: BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme, Private Bag 92208, Auckland 1142, New Zealand.

What you'll need to provide

  • Emigration from New Zealand – such as a plane ticket or passport showing your departure and/or relevant dates.
  • Your residential address upon arrival in your new place of residence.
  • Your address 12 months (or more) after arrival.
  • A statutory declaration of your emigration status.

Moving to Australia

If you’re permanently emigrating to Australia, you cannot request an early withdrawal of your KiwiSaver savings. You can transfer your KiwiSaver savings to an Australian complying superannuation scheme that is willing to accept the transfer and is regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA). Or you can leave your KiwiSaver savings invested in your BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme account.

Find out more