If you’ve previously transferred Australian superannuation savings to your BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme account, these funds are held under different rules from your New Zealand KiwiSaver savings. The following rules apply to Australian sourced retirement savings held in your BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme account.
- You’re able to withdraw your Australian sourced retirement savings after you have reached the age of 60 if you satisfy the definition of ‘retirement’ in Australian legislation. This definition requires you to have reached age 60 on or before ending your employment, or reasonably satisfy the trustee that you intend never to be employed again.
- Your Australian sourced retirement savings cannot be withdrawn for the purchase of your home or used to count towards eligibility for a home buyer’s deposit subsidy.
- Your Australian sourced retirement savings cannot be transferred to a third country.
- Any earnings on your Australian sourced retirement savings will be subject to normal KiwiSaver rules.
- You’ll need to complete the BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme retirement withdrawal application to access your New Zealand KiwiSaver savings at retirement.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for a withdrawal in this situation, you need to fill in the BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme Australian-sourced retirement savings application form PDF 111KB.
Once you have filled in this form, you will need to take it to a Justice of the Peace, a solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand, notary public or another person authorised to complete the statutory declaration section of the form. Then you can choose to drop your completed form into any BNZ branch, email it to KiwiSaver_Support_Team@bnz.co.nz, or send it to: Freepost BNZ KiwiSaver Scheme, Private Bag 92208, Auckland 1142, New Zealand.