You can make deposits into your account using an ATM, Smart ATM, express deposit bag, freepost through the mail, or by visiting us in store.
We have ATMs nationwide, and many of them accept deposits of notes and cheques.
ATMs are available 24/7, unless they’re located in store or in a shopping mall where restricted hours may apply.
You can deposit notes and cheques at:
- BNZ ATMs that accept deposits in the form of an envelope or bag
- BNZ Smart ATMs that accept deposits without an envelope or bag, and credit cash to the account immediately.
Follow simple instructions on the ATM to complete the deposit. Clearance times vary by location*.
We’re currently introducing Smart ATMs into our busiest stores so you won’t need to queue to see a teller when making deposits. They’re also being added for use outside stores so you can access them anytime. Check out our video tutorials to learn how to make the most of using Smart ATMs.
Smart ATM features
- Notes and coin deposits are validated and credited to your account immediately. You don’t have to wait for funds to clear. Cheque deposits will take three days to clear.
- You can deposit up to 50 notes in New Zealand currency (less than $10,000 in total).
- You can deposit up to 600 coins in New Zealand currency (less than $10,000 in total).
- Note, coin and cheque deposits are automatically counted so there's no need to complete a deposit slip.
- Deposit money into your BNZ credit card account.
- Deposit receipts show a breakdown of your deposit denominations, including cheques, along with your updated balance and financial information for your records.
- Make cardless deposits into a BNZ transaction account using only the account number, and the first and last names of the depositor.
Coin only deposits
Some of our Smart ATMs have sidecars that allow you to deposit your coins without needing a bag or deposit slip. These ATMs are currently available at some of our busiest stores and more will be introduced over 2018. Find our BNZ Smart ATMs that accept coin deposits.
Coin only deposits can be initiated using your BNZ debit cards or deposit cards. You cannot use your BNZ credit card, even if it is a dual card linked to your transaction account.
Visit a store
We have more than 150 stores nationwide and they all have an express deposit tower. This means if you’re depositing less than $10,000, there’s no need to wait in a queue.
Express deposit bags
Put your cash, cheques and deposit slip into one of the Express Deposit bags. If you are only depositing cheques, put your cheques and deposit slip into the ziplock Express cheque deposit bag and drop it in the tower.
Save time by ordering Express Deposit bags and coin bags online.
Freepost through the mail
With our freepost deposit service you can deposit cheques, but not cash, through the mail. Just pick up some freepost deposit envelopes from one of our stores and you’re ready to go. There’s no extra charge and you won’t pay postage.
Your freepost deposits will show on your bank statement like any other deposit. And when you’re running out of envelopes you can order some more using the re-order form on each envelope.