Avoid public hospital waiting lists and get the medical attention you need quicker with cover for private surgery and hospitalisation and optional cover for specialists.
Protection for you and your family
On-going health issues can upset your financial and physical wellbeing. However, New Zealand's public health system is reported as overloaded so you might not get the prompt attention you need. Even if you qualify for a public specialist consultation, it may be more than six months before the first consultation. With PrivateHealth Cover, you contribute a little each month to get peace-of-mind from day one. If and when you need surgical or major medical treatment, PrivateHealth Cover will be ready to make it happen quickly and easily.^
Younger adults need health insurance too
Health insurance isn't just for older people. UniMed's claim statistics show that younger adults claim for things like oral surgery, knee problems, hernias and back injuries – just to mention a few. Plus, by starting early you'll have cover beforeyour health conditions develop.
Comprehensive surgical and major medical cover
PrivateHealth Cover is designed for people who want the security of knowing they can get major medical treatment when they need it, but are happy to take care of their day-to-day medical expenses. You will receive reimbursement for private medical care up to the limits in the Benefit Schedule including:
- Up to $300,000 private hospital benefits for qualifying non-acute surgical procedures (non-acute, also known as ‘elective', means surgery that the public system doesn't always do straight away). Surgical procedures provide 100% refunds of the unusual and customary charges, limited to $300,000 for any admission.
- Includes reimbursement for both surgical and medical hospitalisation costs associated with your treatment.^
- Includes reimbursement for the costs of associated specialists and imaging tests that take place six months before and after surgery (see below for optional cover if surgery is not required).^
- Up to $65,000 private medical hospitalisation benefit for non-acute treatments, including chemotherapy (psychiatric/geriatric hospitalisation is limited to $5,000 per claims year).^
Other unique benefits
PrivateHealth Cover includes a wide range of other important benefits. Check the Benefit Schedule or talk to us to find out more. In the meantime, here are a few examples:
- Oral surgery, for things like impacted wisdom teeth.
- Elective sterilisation, for males and females, after three years continuous membership.
- Parental support accommodation costs, when a child covered by the policy is having surgery.
Optional cover for specialists and imaging, if hospitalisation isn't required
This optional add-on gives you cover of up to $5,000 per year for specialist consultations and imaging appointments that don't lead to surgery or hospitalisation. It means you can pay attention to potentially serious health issues without worrying about big fees.
A policy can cover one or more people
- A PrivateHealth Cover policy can be for an individual adult, a couple or a family. You can apply for cover at any age from 18 years old.
- A child must be under 20 years old and a dependant of the main applicant to be included in their parent's policy. There is no limit to the number of children that can be covered by your policy.
- Starting your child off with his/her own policy makes a great 20th birthday present.
PrivateHealth Cover is underwritten by UniMed, a trusted partner and expert in health insurance. UniMed is a New Zealand not-for-profit mutual society. Since 1979 they've been providing affordable quality health insurance, backed up by first class service. A large section of UniMed's business is in corporate/employer-based health insurance schemes. The UniMed head office is in Christchurch; branch offices are located in Auckland, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Wellington and Invercargill. To learn more about UniMed, please visit unimed.co.nz.
Get in touch about PrivateHealth Cover
Insurance help and support
If you need some help, call 0800 275 269
Or call us collect from a land line from here or overseas +64 9 985 0103
To make a claim, call 0800 248 888
This is a summary of PrivateHealth Cover. Refer to the Benefit Schedule for details on all benefits and any limits that apply.
PrivateHealth Cover arranged through Bank of New Zealand (BNZ) is underwritten by the insurer, Union Medical Benefits Society Limited (UniMed). BNZ arranges PrivateHealth Cover as an agent for UniMed and receives commission on any policies it arranges. BNZ does not guarantee the obligations of UniMed. BNZ’s Qualifying Financial Entity Disclosure Statement may also be obtained free of charge from any BNZ store. Under the Insurance Companies (Ratings and Inspections) Act 1994, UniMed is not required to have a rating, and has elected not to be rated as it provides health insurance only. Any cover issued in response to this application is subject to the terms and conditions contained in the relevant cover documentation.