Help & Support
3D Secure for e-commerce sites
3D Secure is an additional layer of security to make online shopping transactions safer, by authenticating a cardholder’s identity at the time of purchase. It’s provided by Visa as 'Verified by Visa', and by Mastercard as 'Mastercard SecureCode'.
How 3D Secure works
3D Secure adds an additional step to the authentication of online payments. In order to complete a transaction using a credit or debit card, a cardholder must provide additional proof of identity, such as a password or other information known by the cardholder. Control over what details are needed to verify the cardholder, sits with the issuing bank for the card used.
By enabling 3D Secure on your e-commerce site, you can:
- block stolen card number fraudulent transactions at the online checkout, before you send any goods or provide services
- help protect against chargebacks^ claimed as unauthorised by the cardholder
- increase customer confidence in the safety of your e-commerce site.
Even with the added protection of 3D Secure, it’s important to have strategies in place to prevent fraud and chargebacks. If these levels become too high, it is possible that you could lose the liability protection that 3D Secure authentication provides.
In some cases, a legitimate customer may fail authorisation during the payment process, or may back out of the transaction without completing it which will result in a failed authentication. In this case, the customer should contact the bank that issued their card. This is because 3D Secure is taken as proof the true cardholder made the transaction, and therefore the risk for fraud ordinarily falls back to the card issuing bank.
Requirements for 3D Secure on your e-commerce site
To enable 3D Secure on your e-commerce site you’ll need to have:
- an approved BNZ Merchant Facility
- an e-commerce site that meets BNZ’s minimum requirements
- a payment option that supports 3D Secure, such as Payment Express or BNZ Securit-e via a Certified Solutions Provider^
If you accept Diners Club or American Express, you’ll need to discuss 3D Secure options with them directly. BNZ only supports 3D Secure for Visa and Mastercard.
Enabling 3D Secure
We may require you to use 3D Secure on your e-commerce site, however in most cases it is your choice whether you want to utilise it or not.
If you want to enable 3D Secure, contact us to get things started. We’ll let you know what the next steps are, depending on whether your payment page is hosted by your Payment Switch, or if you host your own.
Cost to enable 3D Secure
We don’t charge anything extra to enable 3D Secure on your site, and there is no additional charge to you for 3D Secure verified transactions.
If you have a non-hosted shopping card solution, you’ll need to get your site connected to your Payment Switch’s 3D Secure interface, and this is likely to involve some development cost for you.
Preparing customers for 3D Secure
You can help make the 3D Secure authentication process smoother for customers by:
- adding a message prior to payment authorisation, advising customers that they may be redirected to their card issuing bank, to use 'Verified by Visa' or 'Mastercard SecureCode', before returning to your site once authorisation is complete
- displaying the 'Verified by Visa' and 'Mastercard SecureCode' logos on your website and linking them to further information from Visa and Mastercard about 3D Secure.
3D Secure will be part of your merchant services facility and merchant services fees, charges, and terms and conditions will apply.
There are other chargeback reasons that 3D Secure does not offer protection from, including but not limited to; Duplicate Transaction, Cancelled Recurring Transaction, Goods/Service Not as Described, Defective Goods, Goods/Service Not Received, and Paid by Other Means.
A certified Solutions Provider is a company which has been specially certified and trained by Paymark to support companies using BNZ Securit-e. Your chosen Certified Solutions Provider can integrate the software into your business, providing ongoing support with testing and certification.