January 2019 online retail sales
28 February 2019
- New Zealand’s total online retail spending in January was 6% higher than a year ago.
- It was another soft month for growth in purchases from offshore sites, with spending in January unchanged from January last year.
- Very strong growth in the Entertainment Media category offset weakness in other areas.
- Spending at offshore Clothing retailers was down 6% on a year earlier.
- Local online sites turned in another healthy month, with spending up 11% compared to the prior January.
- Food, Clothing and Department store categories featured strongly.
- Annual online spending across the retail categories we cover is now running at approximately $4.6 billion (excl GST).
- This is equivalent to 8% of total retail sales reported in Statistics NZ’s Retail Trade Series (RTS), comparing like-for-like categories.
- Excluding the food and liquor sectors from both the RTS and our Index, annual online spending is now equivalent to 11.4% of retail sales.
Read the full BNZ Online Retail Sales Index report PDF 695 KB
Do you want data specific to your business?
You can get one step ahead of your competitors with up-to-date information about your business and customers with a Marketview report tailored to your business.
Find out more about Marketview
Previous online retail sales reports