June 2019 online retail sales
31 July 2019
- New Zealand’s total online retail spending in June was 8% higher than a year ago.
- Recent trends have continued. Growth in spending at local online sites was again strong - June was up 14% on a year earlier. In contrast, spending at offshore sites is still growing slowly, with June just 1% higher than June last year.
- The biggest overall contributors to year-on-year growth were four categories: Food and Groceries; Department and Variety; Entertainment Media; and Computers.
- At domestic sites we are seeing ongoing strength in Food and Groceries, which remains a key driver of the differential in growth rates between domestic and international online stores. Department and Electrical/Electronic stores also performed well at local sites.
- Online clothing purchases at domestic online stores were up 9% on last June, more than offsetting a 4% fall in spending on clothing at offshore sites.
Do you want data specific to your business?
You can get one step ahead of your competitors with up-to-date information about your business and customers with a Marketview report tailored to your business.
Find out more about Marketview
Previous online retail sales reports