October 2019 Online Retail Sales
4 December 2019
- New Zealand’s total online retail spending in October was 8% higher than a year ago, with recent patterns continuing.
- Growth in spending at local online sites eased slightly but remained in double digits - up 13% on October last year.
- Very strong growth in supermarket and grocery stores. Department stores and electrical/electronic stores offset softer showings in several other categories. Clothing spending at local online stores was down 8% on last October.
- Spending growth at offshore sites showed a small increase in October, with online spending inching up 1% on October last year.
- Spending offshore in the computer, clothing, and electrical/electronic store categories was lower than in last October. But strong spending increases in the entertainment, media, and department store categories helped offset this.
- Annual online spending across the retail categories we cover is running at just over $4.7 billion (excl GST). This is equivalent to 8% of total retail sales reported in Statistics NZ’s Retail Trade Series (RTS), comparing like-for-like categories. Excluding the food and liquor sectors from both the RTS and our Index, annual online spending is equivalent to 11.1% of retail sales.
Do you want data specific to your business?
You can get one step ahead of your competitors with up-to-date information about your business and customers with a Marketview report tailored to your business.
Find out more about Marketview
Previous online retail sales reports
· Spending growth at offshore sites showed a small increase in October, with online spending inching up 1% on October last year.