August 2019 online retail sales
03 October 2019
- New Zealand’s total online retail spending in August was 7% higher than a year ago.
- Spending at local online sites continued recent strength, with August up 15% on August last year.
- Food and Grocery categories were again exceptionally strong.
- Spending at department and electrical store sites also showed solid double-digit year-on-year growth rates.
- Online shopping at offshore sites softened in August, with spending down 3% on August last year.
- Spending on Entertainment Media at international e-tailers was again strong (up 12% on last August). However, this was more than offset by a reduction in spending on computer and electronic goods. Clothing purchases from offshore sites were up 4% on August last year.
- Annual online spending across the retail categories we cover is now running at just over $4.7 billion (excl GST).
Do you want data specific to your business?
You can get one step ahead of your competitors with up-to-date information about your business and customers with a Marketview report tailored to your business.
Find out more about Marketview
Previous online retail sales reports