Help & Support
Making international payments
Information you’ll need to make an international payment
- The account you want us to withdraw the funds from.
- The currency and amount you want to send, specifying a foreign amount or an NZD equivalent.
- Your phone number in case we need to clarify your request.
- Payee’s full name and street (physical) address.
- Payee’s account number and the currency the account is held in.
- Payee’s bank name, branch name and branch address.
Bank and country information of the payee
- An IBAN (International Bank Account Number), if you’re sending money to European Union countries, the Middle East and some other countries.
- Country Clearing Codes.
- Any SWIFT, BSB, ABA or other routing number.
- Any other useful information e.g. invoice number or payment reason. (A payment reason is mandatory for payments to Sri Lanka, South Africa, Thailand or India.)
Country codes for making an international payment
Some countries have rules for IBANs, Clearing Codes and SWIFT BIC Codes that you may need to include when making your payment.
|Country||IBAN||Clearing Code||SWIFT BIC Code|
|Australia, Canada and USA||Use account numbers rather than IBANs||Mandatory AU = BSB No. (eg 123456) CA= Transit No. (eg 123456789) US = Fedwire/ABA No (eg 123456789)||Do not supply a SWIFT BIC for these countries|
|United Kingdom||Either an account number or an IBAN can be supplied. IBAN preferred.||Mandatory GB = Sort Code (eg 123456)||Do not supply a SWIFT BIC for this country|
|South Africa||Use account numbers and not IBANs||Optional ZA = Sort Code No (eg 123456)||Provide a SWIFT BIC if known. If not known then bank name and address details must be supplied|
|India||Not applicable||IFSC recommended||Do not supply a SWIFT BIC for this country. You must include full details of payee’s bank: Name of bank Name of branch Building name, plot number Street/ road and area name City name and PIN code (Postal Identification Number) Phone number if available|
|Countries using IBAN (e.g. countries in the European Union and Middle East)||Use IBAN||Do not supply a Clearing Code for these countries||Optional|
Rates and fees
Check BNZ’s International Payment service fees. Overseas bank charges may apply.